People Underestimate the Value of a Good Ramble

Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Billy Joel is My American Idol

Because of my great love for Billy Joel, I felt like I should try to find time this week to post a list of song picks for American Idol tonight.  But even as much as I love Billy, I kinda hate these kids more. So I never did it.

Steven Tyler says "If you can't sing Billy Joel, you can't sing."  He's right. But I think we're going to find out that these kids can't sing. From what I understand, several of them don't even know who Billy Joel is. How is that even slightly possible? But what am I saying, some of them don't know who the Beatles are.

We have Tommy Hilfiger to tell them how to look and P Diddy to tell them how to sing. And I'm here to tell them what they did wrong. So we're all set.

DeAndre Brackensick - Only The Good Die Young - My husband says, "he looks like Leif Garrett" and I said they don't know who that is either. DeAndre has taken all the advice, his hair is down, he's smiling and bopping around, but I can't help but feel that he has no idea what that song is about. It was weak and his voice didn't quite reach the level it should have. As Randy said, it didn't wow me, but it was OK.

Erika Van Pelt - New York State of Mind - This is an eminently singable song, other than the fact that Billy has a huge range, so he gets low and then high and then low again, but Erika can pull it off if she doesn't over sing. At first, my husband was dreading the new hair, but he eventually had to agree that it looked really cute. I had to agree that the new hair was probably the best part of her performance.  Well, I don't mean that exactly, but I think she could have been better.

Joshua Ledet - She's Got A Way - So I guess it has to be church every single week with Joshua.  I like him, I really do, and I've got nothing against taking it to church.  But I think sometimes you have to show that you can do something that's else. Like DeAndre, it felt like he had no idea what he was singing about. He can sing, though. I mean, he can sang.

Steven Tyler doesn't know She's Got A Way? How is that possible. As soon as he said that, my husband and I turned to each other with a look. You know the look. I'm just guessing that maybe he didn't recognize it being sung that way.

Skylar Laine - Shameless - I had the album, Storm Front, that this song was on, but I didn't recognize it  sung this way.  I had to go find it on youtube so that I could remember what it should sound like. My husband said "I've never heard this before in my life, but she sounds a little flat." I know he has heard it, but just not with a twang.

If I'd know they were going to sing songs that didn't come off the Greatest Hits album, I would have suggested that someone sing Just A Fantasy from Glass Houses. That is seriously one of my favorite Billy Joel songs and every time we heard his heavy breathing, we'd all scream. Of course, we were in our teens, but still.

Elise Testone - Vienna - How could Jimmy Iovine say people won't know this song? Who are these people and who put them in charge of picking music if they aren't familiar with an artist like Billy Joel's entire song book?  This is off The Stranger album. I had that one, too. Cause I loved Billy Joel. Did I mention that? Elise reminds me of Mama Cass this week.  I think it's her flowy look and her smokey sound. While I didn't care for the ending, I thought she did an amazing job overall.  Plus, I was so thrilled to hear that song from the Idol stage. So there, Jimmy Iovine.

Phillip Phillips - Movin' Out - Please no. What fresh hell is he going to wreak on this song? I guess they are trying to make this kid a heart throb. I think they have a long row to hoe with that, cause if there's anyone that wants to be a heart throb less than PhillipSquared, then I have no idea who it is.  My husband liked that way more than I did. I thought it was interesting, but I wasn't in love with it. Also, he messed up one line, but who's really paying attention anyway?

I did think he was an idiot to throw away a scarf that came from Steven Tyler, though. I'd have held on to that for the rest of my life. Or at least until after Idol when it could be sold on Ebay for a tidy sum.

Hollie Cavanagh - Honesty - This is a beautiful song, but Hollie made it boring. Also, she didn't hit all those big notes right on, so she came across as a little sharp here and a little flat there. But she still has a lovely voice.

Heejun HanMy Life - When I heard that slow start, I wondered what he had done to My Life. But I see it was all just another little joke from Heejun. Is it just me or is he getting less and less funny? I thought P Diddy was funnier when he called Heejun a con man and said he wasn't even sure he was Asian.  In any case, the singing was bad and he sang the wrong words at one point, but since he's clearly here trying out for Last Comic Standing, I don't think those things really matter.  

Jessica Sanchez
 - Everybody Has A Dream - Shouldn't Joshua Ledet have sung this song? I want to like this performance, I really do. She sang it well, but to me it just felt a little too staged. I think I'm just starting to dislike this kid, cause she's got a 'tude and it's getting on my last nerve.

Colton Dixon - Piano Man - I have the feeling that Colton knew who Billy Joel was before this week and it's apparent as he plays and sings. It definitely felt like he was in his element. I just wish he could have made the song more interesting, cause I was just a teensy bit bored.  Oh, and if there's anyone on this show who wants to be a heart throb...

My bottom three would be DeAndre, Skylar and Heejun, and I really think it's time for Heejun to head back to that comedy club in the sky.

No comments: