People Underestimate the Value of a Good Ramble

Thursday, May 19, 2011

Come Hell Or High Water

Let's get honest for a minute. Is anyone really hoping for a two-hour American Idol finale filled with boring mid-tempo country music? Cause that's just not right. I  mean, don't they already have Nashville Star for that?

The more I think about it, the more I think we need to see Haley in the finale. Even if just to give us something to live for.

So instead of Lauren and Scotty, let's have Haley and Scotty.  Would it really make any difference in the outcome?  I feel very confident that this horse has been bred for Scotty to ride to the winner's circle. I actually said that on a work conference call this week (why wouldn't we be talking about American Idol?) and it appeared that everyone else on the call was still actually innocent enough to believe that this entire thing isn't already staged from the beginning.

Silly people.

So, as we head into tonight's elimination show, I'm keeping my hopes up that Haley makes it into the finale. Of course, if the world really ends on Saturday, it won't matter.  But then I will be just a little miffed, since I've been forcing myself to watch this thing since Day One (many long, boring, country years ago) and I want to be there to say I Told You So when Scotty is crowned Country King.

I'm starting the show late tonight, after it's already over, actually, so I'm taking care to stay away from Twitter, cause I don't want to know who's in the Top 2.  The upside is that I'm able to fast-forward through as much as possible and that makes me happy.  What doesn't make me happy is that these kids got to meet J.J. Abrams, and you can just tell that they have no idea what that means. I mean, were they even born yet when Lost was on??

Alright. I'm not ashamed to admit it. Haley's home town visit made me cry. Just a little.

I happily fast-forward through the Ford music video and the Italian Jonas Brothers who are named after a virulent disease. (What? It's Ebola, right?) Well, I did hear just enough to recognize the sounds of a Casio organ with drum machine in the background.

Scotty and dozens of little girls cried during his home town visit. But for some reason, it didn't strike me as emotionally as Haley's.  Even though I did get the feeling from both of them that they just didn't expect so much adoration and support.

I'm thrilled to fast forward through who ever this chick is that's singing next. I still notice the random guy walking through yelling into a mic. What is that about? Just watching them, even in fast forward, it makes me grieve for the  loss of the woman's rights movement. The fact that so many people think that sexualizing woman is somehow empowering is just sad.

Interestingly, in Lauren's home visit the only tears shed are about the storm damage.  The homage of thousands of adoring fans is pretty much taken as her right. It makes me think about Cordelia's speech in that Buffy the Vampire Slayer episode about how it's not just her right, but her responsibility to be so popular. I think it was "Earshot."  Maybe Michael Slezak will look it up and it can be part of this week's episode of Idoloonies.

So now we are about to find out the final two.  The first person in the finale is ... Scotty McCreery. Yep.

And, of course, as it was ordained from the beginning, he's joined by Lauren Alaina.  So Haley Reinhart, who can sing rings around the other two, is going home.

Please, please, please, can the world really end on Saturday?

No comments: