People Underestimate the Value of a Good Ramble

Sunday, January 2, 2011

Just Another "A Year Has Passed" Post

I'm glad 2010 is over. I'm sure lots of people will be writing posts like this one. Starting a new year makes us all feel retrospective. But I'm just really glad 2010 is over. I was pretty happy to see the backside of 2009, too. I thought 2010 had to be a better year. In some ways, it was and, yet, it wasn't either.

Actually, as I think back over this entire decade, from 2001 to 2010, things haven't been good overall. It seems like one or the other of us was out of work or ill. We had our own business going into 2001 which did very well initially and yet somehow managed to tank a couple of years later, costing us thousands of dollars that we had to struggle to pay back. We had just finished paying that off in 2007, when I became ill and ended up losing my job. Then I had lots of health issues so that  I didn't work for most of 2008.  I went back to work in 2009, but then my husband was laid off and he still isn't back to work full-time.


Last year was also a year of loss.  Two of my cousins, Judy and Marianne, both passed away in 2010, along with my baby girl, Bambi. So the year will always invoke thoughts of sadness.


So, yes, the past decade wasn't my friend but I have high hopes for the new decade to come. And that's the point. Even after all we went through in the past year, the year before that, the year before that, and beyond, even so, I still have hope. Everything worked out and even at the worst of times, we made it through.

We're still here, still together and we have everything we need; food to eat, a beautiful home, a wonderful family, great friends. I'm sure there are more challenges to come in 2011. But I'm ready.

No comments: